Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Off to Lampung

I had a wonderful time in Siborongborong, Aek Matio (believe it or not), and Danau Toba. The Batak people are so kind and welcoming, and the food (ex. sangsang, pork cooked in its blood, and rice) was actually not bad. The coffee from Siborongborong was especially good.

I was able to talk with Pdt. Hotmaida Siahaan, who started the credit union (CU) in Aek Matio, as well as two other CUs in Siantar and Siborongborong. It's pretty amazing what the CUs have allowed women to do. One woman was able to start a better sewing business, and several families have been able to send their children to college. The CU in Aek Matio is still really new, and the results are not yet apparent, but based on the pattern of the older CUs, it will hopefully help the people of Aek Matio expand their horizons and come to value education.

Teaching English and Bible stories/studies in Siborongborong was an amazing experience. The students that Ci Mega and I had were so special, and I don't think I could ever forget how easily we all became friends. They were so excited to get to know us, and to learn more about God's Word. The opportunities to share God's grace in my own life are particularly memorable. I will be praying for the youth in Siborongborong. They have so much potential to do amazing things that bring glory to God.

Danau Toba was absolutely beautiful! It was a nice place to rest and reflect on all the amazing things God had done in the past week and a half.

Our mission team is now all over the map! Marilyn is still in Danau Toba. Indra and Katherine are in Jakarta, busily preparing for their engagement party. Mega is in Jakarta visiting family and friends. Clara is in Siantar with her Batak grandparents. And I'm about to leave for Lampung tomorrow morning. What a busy trip this is. Thank God for my kind relatives and friends! I don't think I could have made it this far without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment