Sunday, May 6, 2012

We Need Your Mercy


I wrote this song at a time when I was struggling with pride, anger, and bitterness, and was frustrated with myself for it.  I wanted to serve God, but all these things were weighing me down. God graciously reminded me of His mercy and how He has set me free from these sins that He may be glorified.  I pray that this song reminds you of the assurance of pardon we have thanks to Jesus, and of the work that God is doing in us, transforming us to become more like Christ.

"Who is God like you, who pardons sin and forgives the transgression of his inheritance?  You do not stay angry forever but delight to show mercy." - Micah 7:18

We Need Your Mercy

Em                                 G
What is this darkness inside my heart?
Am                         C
How do I let go?  Where do I start?
Em                                      G
The sin inside me has taken hold
Am                                          C
I can’t uproot it by strength alone

We seek to love people for Your fame
But are we just seeking to win their praise?
We hurt each other and shame your name
We say we’re Christians but don’t live by grace


Am                     C            G       D
We need Your mercy, Jesus
Am                    C              D
We need Your grace, O Lord
Am                   C              G        D
We need Your love to change us
Am               C         D                      Em
Your glory to be shown among us

Your body broken, Your blood poured out
Your love has spoken but we still doubt
That you could love us, amidst our sin
Help us remember You took our shame

Em                            G                             D
I want to give my life, a living sacrifice
                  Am7             Em
Holy and pleasing to You
Em                             G
But I need Your to refine
                                            D
My heart, my soul, my mind
                Am7                       (D)
Make me new, make me new 2x

No comments:

Post a Comment