It has been a week since I returned from my trip overseas, and already I'm falling back into my bad habits. I sleep late and wake up late, I spend most of my time reading silly fiction novels, and I eat at weird times of the day (although I am eating more now, which is a good thing). But what this fall back into my old habits has shown me is that it is so hard for people to change, even when we want to.
My wild adventure to several small villages in Sumatra may have helped shaped my views on poverty, education, and medicine, but, for some reason, it hasn't been able to keep me from falling back into laziness. It's the same way with the people in Aek Matio, who want to become more economically stable, and know that the training and credit union they've received are means to that end. They know that they need to improve their farming techniques and the way they manage their money, but no matter how hard they try, they don't change.
What I'm coming to realize is that true life transformation doesn't come from traveling to faraway countries, helping the poor, or working your way up the economic ladder. No, those can be life-changing experiences, but the actual life-change comes from Christ. I've seen it in the lives of my friends and family. In Sitabotabo, we could see how those who walked with God had such joy in their eyes, and could work wholeheartedly for God's glory. In my own life, I've known the joy of realizing that Jesus loves me in the darkest moment of my despair, and experiencing the life transformation (still in progress) that follows.
As I learn more about microfinance, I am amazed at the simple brilliance of the idea. But the success of these small credit unions really does depend on its members; whether they are willing to set aside some money each month, whether they are ready to start a business with the money they borrow. Matthew 6:33 says, "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." We need to share the gospel and encourage people to have a personal relationship with God before even introducing the concept of microfinance, and the desire to work, save money, and send their children to college, all for God's glory, will follow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment