"Take heart; it is I. Do not be afraid." (John 14:27)These were Jesus' words to His disciples when He was walking on water in the middle of a storm.
These past few days for me have been a storm in themselves. First it was finals week, and then, after checking my grades, I just broke down. It was just too much. I felt like all my hopes of going to medical school and being a medical missionary were shattered the moment I saw my GPA, and I became angry. Angry mostly at myself for not being smart enough, motivated enough, pretty enough, disciplined enough, healthy-weight enough; for being too frustrated, too selfish, too distracted. My family comforted me as best they could, but it was Jesus' words that renewed me and helped me hope in God.
In the same Bible story, Peter stepped out of the boat in faith and began walking on water as Jesus commanded him."But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and [began] to sink." (John 14:30)Peter started drowning because he started doubting that Jesus could enable him to walk on water.
How illogical it seems to begin doubting when Jesus has already proven that He can enable you to do the impossible! And yet, I too still doubt despite the way God has shown Himself to be so faithful. I feel like I took a step of faith in going to college as a pre-med student, but this quarter, I began to doubt God's almighty power and sovereign will, despite the overwhelming proof for God's faithfulness! And so, I started to drown.
But as Peter sank, he cried out,"'Lord, save me.' Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him, saying to him, 'O you of little faith, why did you doubt?' And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased. And those in the boat worshiped him, saying, 'Truly you are the Son of God."" (John 14:30-31)
What a comfort it is to know that even in my lowest points - my moments of unbelief - I may call out to Jesus Christ, and He will hear me and save me. I can "hold fast [to] the confession of [my] hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful" (Hebrews 10:23). I know that Jesus will not let me "drown" for long, but he will take hold of me, and save me from the storm of feeling inadequate.
Jesus saves. No doubt about it. May His sovereign will be done for His glory.
No comments:
Post a Comment