"Dear Heavenly Father,
Thank you for the gifts of quiet mornings and the beauty of your creation. May all these things always stir my heart to worship you.
Lord, thank you for all of the ways you showed your faithfulness in 2013."
And so I began jotting down two lists.
First, a list of joys: being in medical school, having chosen the lab in which I will do my PhD research, worship nights, CMDA, finding a home church in Iowa City, going to Urbana missions conference, serving on my first medical mission trip to Haiti, getting to know and be encouraged by three of the undergrad students in a research program over the summer, visiting the headquarters for Wycliffe Bible Translators and Cru, as well as our missionary friends over the summer, going to a women's conference with my mom and ladies from church.
Second, a list of trials: job transitions for my family, my grandma's health, struggles in relationships with others in all areas of life, struggling in school.
"2013 has not been the prettiest of years, but LORD, you have so clearly been with us all the way. I thank you that you come and stay with us even in the stormiest times of our lives. You are a kind and gracious God, abounding in love and mercy! Praise be to Your Name above every other name! You are good."
Next, I wrote about what the year 2014 would bring. Already, I know that 2014 will be a year of transitions. I will be transitioning out of the classroom to taking my first medical licensing exam. Then I will have to shift gears to clinical rotations for a short while before I go on another medical mission trip and then transition into the lab for research. I am both excited and a little scared for all of these huge life changes that are coming my way, and all in the span of one year. But I am reminded of God's faithfulness and goodness in 2013, and that gives me peace.
Philippians 4:4-7 says, "Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
My prayer for 2014 is that we can rest in God and the hope that we have in Christ Jesus, and that He would be so glorified through our rest, peace, and contentment in Him.
"Lord, you are good, so good! And your mercy endures forever. May every tongue, tribe, and nation praise the name of Jesus!
In Jesus' Name,
Amen"

No comments:
Post a Comment